'In this way I shall preserve many things that would otherwise be lost in oblivion. I shall find daily employment for myself, which will save me from indolence and help to keep off the spleen, and I shall lay up a store of entertainment for my after life.'

For James Boswell posts please follow the labels on the right.

This blog mainly contains reviews from the Edinburgh Festivals from 2008 to 2010 which I wrote for the Edinburgh Festivals Magazine. These reviews cover everything from comedy to contemporary dance; children's theatre to Handel.


Sunday 23 October 2011

Michael Fabbri – Dumbing Up Review

Michael Fabbri – Dumbing Up

Special School, hats on jam jars and sneezing during oral sex: Fabbri’s material is a lot of things, but it is not intelligent. This is one of the main ideas in a show exploring stupidity. Why is it, for example, someone saying they’ve travelled to an exotic place (preferably in the ‘East’ and with Buddhism as a state religion) makes them automatically more intelligent? ‘I feel climate change is one of the most important issues of the 21st century – I should know I’ve seen a puddle in Nepal.’

Michael Fabbri, as he highlights, is not intelligent. How, I wonder, can a grown man accidentally put Shreddies into a washing machine instead of washing powder? Is the situation in the Middle East so confused that all wars should be stopped – and then restarted – for simplicity? Is going to your granny’s party dressed as Harold Shipman really a good move?

Despite a life of moronic behaviour Fabbri’s material and delivery are both fairly sound. Although not a lot sets him apparent from many other 20/30 something T-shirt clad stand-ups, one does get the impression this is a comedian who could definitely hone his style and rise in popularity.

No comments:

Post a Comment