'In this way I shall preserve many things that would otherwise be lost in oblivion. I shall find daily employment for myself, which will save me from indolence and help to keep off the spleen, and I shall lay up a store of entertainment for my after life.'

For James Boswell posts please follow the labels on the right.

This blog mainly contains reviews from the Edinburgh Festivals from 2008 to 2010 which I wrote for the Edinburgh Festivals Magazine. These reviews cover everything from comedy to contemporary dance; children's theatre to Handel.


Sunday 23 October 2011

Danielle Ward Lies Review

Danielle Ward Lies

Coming straight after a middle aged comedian, with some tired stand-up going off like a damp squib, Danielle Ward proved a welcome shot of youthful energy to my frayed comedy veins.

As a female comedian in what tends to a very masculine world of stand-up, it’s also pleasant to hear she’s not going to talk about what she eats or her boyfriends.

Ward drops a lot of cultural references into the show which are often lost on the audience, and certain jokes misfire as a result. Yet Ward has a talent for refusing to let a gag dribble on without gaining some laughter from it. Often this is reminiscent of a younger, better looking female Ricky Gervais.

Ward is an intelligent and imaginative comedian. She also highlights that women can happily get up on stage and talk about decapitations or Talk Sport rather than simply meals, men or menstruation. Sharp and often dark humour for the facebook generation. 

* * * 

No comments:

Post a Comment